Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Six Degrees of Separation: Human Web Theory

Hey there!! I'm gonna float a crazy idea which I want you to ponder about. Is it possible for you to connect yourself to Goerge Bush, the former President of the United States? Could it be that a friend of your friend's friend might be friends with George Bush (I know...confusing statement)? If you were to form a chain of acquaintances from yourself to George Bush, how long do you think it would be? 50 people? 100 people? Well, how about only SIX? At least that is what the theory of Six Degrees of Separation states. Let me show you a diagram I found while googling..


The theory generates the idea that a person is at most six steps away from any other person in the world. This means that if you are one step away from a person you know and two steps away from any person they know then only six steps seperate you from any person unknown to you.


Mind Candy, a British media and entertainment company, is carrying out an interesting activity to test the accuracy of this theory. Titled as 'Find Satoshi', Mind Candy has distributed a photograph of a Japanese man named Satoshi which I have included below. It would be interesting to know the results of this test.
Many personal experiences have led to me believing in this theory. So let's see if this theory is actually true. If any of you can actually contact George Bush (the only practical way to test this theory..lol..) then I would certainly be interested in knowing how long a chain it took you.

2 comments:

  1. I hve had several experiences of my own, I think this theory is pretty interesting it is certainly hard to believe. I will be interested to kno the results of the find satoshi test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interseting but i have never tried it though. Many times it has happened with me that i met two different people at different places but afterwards they happened to know each other, strange but true. The earth is so small in the sense that our friends know someone whom we don't know via them but, they are our friends through some other source but happened to know each other at the end. There is a very famous saying in Punjabi that if two random punjabi's meet they will certainly end up having some fanily ties.

    ReplyDelete